Clip-In Extensions: The Who, What, When & How!
Clip-In Extensions: The Who, What, When & How!
Clip-in extensions are nothing new in the hair world. As of lately, having the most natural looking hair extensions possible, is really even more important than in times past. As far as natural looking extensions go, clip ins recently have been coming through in a large way, with multiple styling options!
In this post, we’ll be spilling all the tea on clip-in extensions. We’ll cover the ins and outs of clip-ins, answering some of the most frequently asked questions, from how to install them to how to care for them so that they last long and serve you well. Read on to find out everything you need to know!
What are Clip-in Extensions?
Clip-in extensions are a type of hair extension that consists of wefts (strands of hair held together) at a base of fabric or silicon. Each weft has multiple, small, pressure-sensitive clips attached to the fabric or silicon base. These clips are the means in which the extensions are attached or clipped in to your natural hair. Clip-in extensions are also known as clip-in weaves or simply clip-ins.
Hair extensions, in general, have the massive appeal that they do because they allow you to switch up your look in an instant. Still, some types of extensions do offer more ease and flexibility than others, and clip-ins are one of those that give maximum flexibility. Clip-in extensions are the easiest and quickest type of hair extensions to apply. Because the clips are pressure-sensitive, they also cause the least amount of damage to the hair and scalp when worn in moderation and in different locations in the hair.
Most clip-in extensions will have wefts of different widths. The wider the size of the weft, the more clips it will have. So, for instance, the smallest weft size in a set, will have one or two clips, and the largest size can have four to five clips. This allows for seamless placement of the extensions at different sections of your hair. Clip-ins are also available in a variety of styles and lengths.
Who should wear clip ins?
Clip ins are best if you want to add volume to your hair. Adding volume meaning your extensions are close to the same length as your natural hair which makes for a pretty easy & seamless install. Wearers definitely have to be mindful of their hair's natural thickness so that the extensions can be covered well. Adding clip ins for length can be done also but if they are significantly longer than your natural hair careful consideration of clip in placement is necessary to accomplish a seamless installation. We will discuss this further, later in the article.
How long do clip-in extensions last?
If you wear your clip-ins regularly, specifically from the Monica Nicole Hair they can last 1 to 2 years. However, this timeframe can increase exponentially if you take extra-special care of your extensions. They can even last you up to 3 years!
Can you DIY your clip-in installation?
Yes you absolutely can and that is one of the reasons why we love them! Clip-in extensions are super easy to apply or clip in. So yes, you can install them on your own. They are exceedingly DIY-friendly and it usually takes less than 10 minutes to install them! Not only can you install them yourself you can do a variety of styles with just one Luxe set of clip ins.
How to Install Your Clip-In Extensions.
- The key is to always get your clip-in sizing right. The longer the section of natural hair you’re working with (for example, the middle of your head from ear to ear), the larger the weft you’ll use. But smaller sections such as below your ears and the top of your head will require smaller weft sizes.
- Begin from the back of your head and section off the bottom inch of your hair. If you need to, you can use a claw clip to hold away the rest of your hair while you work.
- Attach the clip-in weft that fits the size of that section by sliding it securely into your natural hair at the roots.
- Check to ensure that the weft lies flat along your scalp.
- Repeat this process section by section up the rest of your head until you achieve your desired results.
It may take a couple of times to get the spacing right but once you get into a grove you’ll be able to install very quickly.
What are the Pros of Clip-in Extensions?
- Super easy to install and remove, even for beginners.
- Requires no special tools for installation.
- Zero pain during installation.
- Causes little to no damage to your hair and scalp.
- Clip-in extensions can have a very long life span.
- Very low maintenance.
- Affordable price range.
What are the Cons?
- Not suitable extensions for thin, fine natural hair, or those who are experiencing thinning or hair loss.
- Not advisable to sleep with your clip-in extensions in too often.
- Daily re-installation can be tedious.
How to Care for Your Clip-Ins.
Now, here’s how to properly care for your clip-in extensions so that they last you a very long time!
- When you wear clip-in extensions, whatever material they’re made of at the base remains in close contact with your hair 24/7. This results in the extensions soaking up your hair’s natural oils, especially clip-ins that are made of fabric at the base. And this is why it is particularly important to take out your clip-ins and wash them at least once a month. This will enable them to maintain their look and quality.
- Clip-in hair extensions wash routine: After you gently take out your clip-ins, soak them in warm water. Then lather a gentle shampoo through the entire length of the extensions. Avoid rough scrubbing! Rinse thoroughly afterward with cold, clean water and repeat the same steps with a conditioner. Some of our favorite options for cleansing if you want a more high quality professional product, includes Olaplex, a little goes a long way, but also Tresemmé works well when we trying to save those coins.
- Allow the hair to air-dry, brush or comb your clip-ins while the hair is still wet apply a small amount of a great quality leave-in conditioner and then comb with a wide-tooth comb to detangle in order to lay them out to neatly to air-dry. A little product goes a long way.
- Once your clip-in extensions are dry if, heat styling is essential to slay certain styles, always ensure to use a good heat protectant spray or light bonding oil on your extensions. We do however, greatly recommend that you DO NOT use a blow dryer on your clip-ins. Air drying is always the best option to preserve their integrity.
- High quality clip-ins will also be able to withstand heat better, custom coloring and guarantee longevity. So get yourself some Luxe Clip Ins from Monica Nicole Hair.
- Want to show your clip-in extensions some extra love? Use a hair mask or deep conditioner on them once in a while. This will keep your hair extensions soft and super moisturized throughout your use of them, as well as help them survive the effects of heat and color much better.
Clip-in extensions are the best way to get any desired hair style easily and instantly. However, you must follow the care guide above to protect your clip-ins from damage and enable them to last longer for you!
What has been your experience with clip in extensions, please share below!